Thursday 3 April 2014

Album review: Shakira


Finally, Shakira's new album has been released! Selling an impressive 84000 copies, this album now sits comfortably at Number 2 in the Billboard 200, losing out to 'Frozen Soundtrack'. Here is my review for her album:

Lyrics: A+
Her lead single 'Can't remember to forget you' may be a moderate success in the Hot 100, but I enjoyed it because of its lyrics - it brings the happy feel in most people. I also enjoyed her promotional single 'Empire'.

Shakira's lead single - Can't remember to forget you


Shakira's promotional single - Empire


Vocals: B
I expected more from Shakira's vocal abilities because she is an accomplished singer. Her voice did not sound liberal in her lead single and was doused with a lot of autotune. In her single Empire, her voice sounded too forced and robotic. Her voice gets more irritating in her lead single when she keeps singing 'Oh...'.

Music video production: A-
I LOVED the production of Empire. There was a creative idea involved in it and Shakira, being the runaway bride, went well with the theme. However, I am somewhat puzzled as to why Shakira and Rihanna would touch each other in 'Can't remember to Forget You'. I heard that she has a husband that does not allow her to film with males, so they got Rihanna.

Overall: A

No comments:

Post a Comment